Analytical Response to Literature (Close Reading Strategies)
This workshop provides English Language Arts teachers with training on the teaching of literary analysis, also known as response to literature. From the very simple model of the Cinderella paragraph to Advanced Placement® interpretations, this guide reveals an academic approach to writing about literature.
The standards-based curriculum guide demonstrates alignment with both the Common Core State Standards and the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
The scaffolding of skills includes Jane’s prewriting strategies, student-centered terminology, color-coding, and Web-off-the-Word™, Jane's breakthrough approach to commentary and vocabulary development. From terminology to final draft essays, this workshop is designed to assist the English language arts teacher with strategies and techniques that yield successful writers.
Included in This Training:
- 6.0 hours of instruction;
- Differentiation: 1) for struggling writers, special education students, and English language learners, the JSWP approach instills a sense of confidence and understanding of process; 2) when differentiating for advanced students, weaving of concrete details (CDs) and commentary (CMs) leads to a more sophisticated final draft;
- Teacher's guide;
- Unbound graphic organizers for easy copying;
- Zipper bag with set of pens for color-coding;
- Access to JSWP Google Docs Response to Literature template; and
- CEU certificate.
- Terminology and methodology
- Response to literature paragraph model
- Gathering and evaluating CDs
- Building insightful commentary
- Editing and Revising
- Prompt construction
- Collaborative and paired writing
- Sample timelines/pacing plans
- Introductions, thesis sentences, and conclusions
- Revising and editing
- Weaving - Leaving the formula behind
- Two-chunk response to literature paragraphs
- Quotations and lead-ins
- G/T; Pre-AP; AP solutions
Start Time: 9:00 A.M.
Lunch: 11:30 A.M. - 12:45 P.M.
End Time: 4:00 P.M.
Credit Cards and Purchase Orders Accepted.
- Please make Purchase Orders payable to Louis Educational Concepts, LLC